Monday, July 19, 2010

The Kids are All Right

Last night, I had the pleasure of viewing the film, The Kids are All Right, which tells the story of a family of four as they face life's challenges. Interestingly, the two teenage kids in this family have two moms instead of a mom and a dad. They were conceived through an alternative insemination process with the assistance of a sperm donor. The movie begins with the teens becoming curious about their donor, seeking him out and ultimately bringing him into the family.

I must say that it was refreshing to see a realistic representation of a family with two moms given the scarcity of these types of on-screen depictions. However, I worry that the storyline was compromised in an effort to reach a larger audience. In the plot, the more feminine of the two moms immediately begins a steamy affair with the sperm donor only to be caught and cause a tremendous disruption to her whole family. While I do agree that gender and sexuality are very complex aspects of human identity that are often oversimplified by society, it still irks me that most of the sex scenes in The Kids are All Right were heterosexual. I just wonder if the script would have been able to attract such great actors and if the movie would have been released so widely had it been gayer.

All and all, this was a really good movie -- and I rarely say that about films these days.

1 comment:

MiCoBa said...

Hmm. It does sound like an interesting story line. However, I do get my boxer briefs in a bunch when there is more hetero sex than homo sex in a gay/lesbian themed movie.